Monday, January 14, 2013

You and I Need To Have a Little Talk

You and I... well, I think we need to have a little talk.
First of all, I think you’re pretty awesome.  Smart.  Caring.  Funny.  You have a lot of great qualities and I have a ton of respect for you.  I really do.
But here’s the problem... I really think you’re selling yourself short in so many ways.  I’m not sure why.  I can’t be certain where things went off-track.
One thing goes wrong, then another, then maybe another; and you suddenly find yourself not living the life you used to, certainly not the life you imagined.  Hey, it happens to the best of us, right?
Perhaps there were some people in your life that weren't nearly as supportive and loyal as you would have hoped (in fact, maybe quite the opposite).  Maybe a person or two judged you based on your current circumstances, rather than who you were on the inside.  I know, that can hurt.
So you took some time to lick your wounds, change a few things and plot your comeback.  That’s to be expected (and actually not a bad idea).  I’m still wondering when you’re going to make that comeback, though.  I’m still waiting for you to come charging forward, away from the ropes, back to fighting in the center of the ring.
So you lowered your standards in a lot of areas and kept letting them slide.  You started expecting less of yourself and life than you used to expect.  You’re getting less and less disciplined as time goes on... and less hopeful... and less positive.  That makes me sad.  I really miss how you used to be.
So when does it stop?  When do you turn the tide?  Think about it... are you going to stick with this current trajectory of yours (more of a downward spiral, to be perfectly honest)?  Are you going to continue to let your standards slip?  Where are you going to draw the line?


I know, I’m not exactly telling you what you want to hear.  You know it’s the truth, though, like it or not.  Are you getting mad?  Good.  Use that.  This guy did...

So when are you going to step up?
How about now... I mean right now.  Today.  This second.  Set some new, higher standards.  Do something, anything to move forward and get out of that rut you’ve created by spinning your wheels.  We both know you’re capable.  Choose to rise above all that negativity, put the past behind you and GO.
Instructions: Look in the mirror and read this.  Repeat as often as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment